Friday 25 October 2013

Summary

Distance - 630kms
Riding Time - 38 hours
Ascent - 2999 m

The people
In 7 days on the road, I had been shown great courtesy by other motorists, who often provide some encouragement.  Every where you go, people stop to find out where you've been, where you are going, what on earth you were thinking or what midlife crisis you are dealing with.  The blokes in the pub buy you beers (and give you advice), as do the publicans.  They give you a lift back to where you are camping.  People in caravan parks walk over to chat, drive you in to town or make you a cup of tea.  They charge your phone, give you good drinking water or offer to feed you.  A cocky at Tansey pulled over in front of me and stopped his ute to have a yarn. At first I thought he might have been an axe murderer but was a just a local bloke with time on his hands.   Told me where I could get good quality rainwater (at the back of the bowls club).  What a great way to get around and meet people.

The only trouble I had was when I got back on to the Sunshine Coast, and was between Yandina and home.  One moron through a half full drink bottle at me, thankfully flying between my wheels and not hitting them.  The other was just a couple of young morons throwing abuse.  

The route
The route is well suited to touring. Any cyclist of average fitness with a bit of determination could complete it. There are few tough climbs (especially if you are carrying 30kgs of gear), but generally it's just rolling hills.  Towns are at regular intervals and offer all the services you need. If you are going to camp in caravan parks like I did (or stay in motels), some of the days are a bit short.  I was aiming for 5 to 6 hours in the saddle at 18 km/hr. That left time in the afternoon to set up camp, do washing plus get around and meet a few people.

I reckon it would best be done in April/May or September/October and ridden south to north.  That way you'll get to use the prevailing south easterlies and it shouldn't be too hot.

The roads
The Burnett is safe for cycling.  Traffic is light, there are a few trucks however.  It's important to have a mirror and you need to know when to get off the road.  Road quality varies but if you have a mountain bike or hybrid, there shouldn't be issues.  I wouldn't do this trip with a road bike.  There are too many potholes and deteriorating shoulders to dodge, making it unsafe.  

The machinery
The Canondale MTB was faultless.  New chain, cassette and rings we're adjusted perfectly.  Not even a puncture (Schawble Marathon Supremes) which is remarkable given the glass, wire, prickles and crap on and off the roads. Didn't even need to grease my chain.

The trailer tracked perfectly behind the bike.   On the flat, you don't notice it.  No issues even at 70 km/hr.  With a lower centre of gravity and spreading the weight over an extra wheel, a trailer for me is a much better option than panniers.

No comments:

Post a Comment